IMPORTANT DATES AND INFO
Interested groups can register here:
The Division of Student Affairs has 60 beds available on a first come-first served basis. These beds are provided to teams for use in the race, but will remain property of Student Affairs. Once registration is filled, teams can request to be put on the waitlist by emailing RutgersHomecoming@gmail.com.
Before registering, please be sure to read this information in full so that you are confident the four team members you register for your team can meet the timeline requirements. Teams without all 4 members fully checked in by 7:30PM the night of Bed Races will be disqualified.
Check In and Decorate!
Wednesday, October 16: Bed Race Decorating
College Avenue Campus, Morrell Street, Bed Race Tent – 6PM-10PM
All beds will be available for teams to claim and decorate on this night in the Bed Race Tent on Morrell Street next to the College Avenue Student Center. PLEASE NOTE: At least one member of each team must check in between 6PM and 8PM this night to claim a bed and confirm the team’s place on the roster for the race the following night. If you fail to do this by 8PM another team on the waitlist will receive your bed. There are no exceptions.
Teams are welcome to decorate their beds in the tent up until 10PM. All beds must remain in the tent until the race. The tent will be guarded by RUPD for the duration of the night. The tent will reopen at 10AM on Thursday, October 17 and all decorating of beds must be completed by 6PM. All bed decorations will be inspected prior to the race for safety and other requirements as defined in the rules and regulations handout.
Painting of beds, headboards and footboards is permitted on Wednesday, October 16 only (YOU MAY NOT PAINT ON THURSDAY!), but must be done in the area outside of the tent on a tarp that is provided. PLEASE NOTE: Teams who paint on the sidewalk, street or tent walls will be disqualified from the race, will be charged the cost of paint removal, and will not be permitted to register for the bed races the following year.
Thursday, October 17: 12th Annual Homecoming Charity Bed Races
College Avenue Campus, Morrell Street and Sicard Street
6:30PM-7:30PM Mandatory Team Check-In
9PM Race Begins
Your ENTIRE team must check-in at the Bed Race Tent on Morrell Street on Thursday, October 17 between 6:30PM and 7:30PM, but NO LATER THAN 7:30PM. NO EXCEPTIONS! If a member of your team can not be checked in by 7:30PM and ready to race at that time then you need to find a new member for your team that can.
The entry fee for your team to participate in Bed Races is a donation of a minimum of 10 new regular sized (not drawstring) backpacks to benefit the children in New Brunswick Public Schools.
You must bring your backpack donation with you to check-in on Thursday night between 6:30PM and 7:30PM. At this time, school supplies will be counted and waivers will be signed. Teams who do not have the minimum donation will be disqualified from the race. Remember that the teams with the highest number of school supplies will receive BONUS points.
Your beds will be lined up in heats and the race will begin promptly at 9PM. BRING SUPPORTERS! Encourage friends and family to attend the race! In the event of rain, the race will be held as long as conditions are considered safe by race coordinators. Should rain prevent the race from happening, awards will be presented to teams in all categories of judging other than race time.
Warm Up, Win It & Clean Up!
- Following the race, winners will be announced in front of the trailer on the side of Sicard Street.
- Following the awards presentation, all teams are required to return their beds to the Bed Race Tent and remove/discard any decorations. Teams who do not remove and dispose of their bed décor risk being prohibited from bed race entry next year.
- First Place Overall: Trophy and $750 to the organization
- Second Place Overall: Trophy and $500 to the organization
- Third Place Overall: Trophy and $250 to the organization
- Consolation prizes and trophies will also be awarded to teams with the best individual speed, bed design, costumes, and number of school supplies donated.
Any questions? Email RutgersHomecoming@gmail.com.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- All beds are provided by the Division of Student Affairs and are twin size with the following dimensions:
- 72”-78” long
- 34”–40” wide
- 24”-38” off the ground
- All beds have 4 wheels securely attached to the bed frame that make contact with the ground at all times. The two wheels that do not swivel must be facing front when racing.
- All beds have a securely attached headboard and footboard.
- All beds include the provided mattress that is 4” thick.
- No push/pull handles that protrude beyond the edges of the bed are allowed.
- No steering devices or motorized/electronic propulsion devices are allowed.
- All decorative elements to your bed must be securely attached and pose no risk to the rider, pushers or other teams. Race coordinators may remove any element from your bed prior to the race, if necessary.
- The design of the beds should be tasteful and appropriate for all ages due to the family-oriented nature of Homecoming. Beds with obscene or degrading designs will not be permitted to race.
- Racing Teams must consist of a maximum of 4 members: 3 pushers and 1 rider.
- All racers must be at least 18 years of age.
- All riders must weigh at least 100 pounds.
- Substitutions will be allowed in the event of injury/sickness at the discretion of race coordinators.
- All racers must remain in contact with the bed at all times during a heat.
- All racers must sign an Informed Consent Waiver before participating in the race.
- All racers must wear closed toe shoes and helmets. Helmets are provided by the race coordinators.
During the Race
- All pushers and riders must remain in contact with the bed at all times and be in control of the bed until it comes to a complete stop.
- Pushers must remain behind or on the side of the bed. No one can be pulling or in front of the bed.
- The rider must be sitting or lying the entire time that the bed is in motion. No standing/kneeling.
- Teams will respect opposing teams and not interfere or impede their progress.
- Pushers will push the bed for a designated length of Sicard Street between Morrell Street and Senior Street. In the first round, both teams are timed and the top eight fastest teams will advance to the semi-finals. Once in the semi-finals, the team that first crosses the finish line, assuming that they follow all of the rules, will win the heat and continue to advance.
- Teams will be judged on the following criteria:
- Speed (30%)
- Design/Decoration of the Bed (20%)
- Design/Decoration of the Team Uniforms (20%)
- Number of school supplies Donated (30%)
- All judging decisions are FINAL.
Any questions? Email RutgersHomecoming@gmail.com.