What is Convocation & Carnivalé?
Chancellor of Rutgers University, New Brunswick, Richard L. Edwards, will address incoming students and formally welcome all to the Rutgers University community at Convocation on Saturday, September 3, 2016. The event will take place at High Point Solutions Stadium on the Busch Campus and features speeches by students and administrators, as well as performances by several performing arts groups including the Rutgers Glee Club. An informal dinner will be served. Convocation is followed by the outdoor Carnivale where new students can win prizes, play boardwalk games, race one another in human hamster balls, compete in laser tag, sample delicious snacks and drinks, and so much more. Convocation and Carnivalé is for first-year students and new transfer students ONLY.
- 4PM-5PM Pre-convocation activities and informal dinner at Stadium
- 5PM-6PM Formal Convocation ceremony at Stadium
- 6PM-10PM Scarlet Carnivale at E-Fields located adjacent to the Stadium
How do I get to Convocation & Carnivalé?
Students living in residence halls will travel together as a group with their Resident Assistant. The departure schedule is as follows:
4:00PM – Walk to Stadium
3:45PM – Meet at College Avenue Student Center Bus Stop (Brett, Frelinghuysen, Mettler, Stonier)
4:00PM – Meet at College Avenue Student Center Bus Stop (Demarest, Easton Ave, Honors College)
4:15PM – Meet at College Avenue Student Center Bus Stop (Clothier, College Avenue Apartments, Hardenbergh, Pell, Tinsley, Wessels)
3:45PM – Meet at Biel Road Bus Stop
3:45PM – Meet at College Hall Bus Stop
4:00PM – Meet at Quads Bus Stop (Quad 1, Quad 2, Livingston Apartments)
4:30PM – Meet at Quads Bus Stop (Quad 3, Lynton Towers)
Commuter students should plan to arrive at the Busch Student Center for an informal gathering in The Cove prior to Convocation before walking to the stadium for the ceremony. Parking is available for commuters in Lot 64 (located at the Werblin Recreation Center).
ENTERING THE STADIUM
- Students will arrive at the stadium grouped by residence hall and will be seated together
- Livingston and College Avenue will enter through West Gates A and B
- Busch, Cook and Douglass will enter through North Gates C and D
- Groups with a student who has a hearing or visual impairment will be accommodated in reserved sections
- Each student will receive a bottle of water and bag dinner as they enter the stadium
- Students with meal plans will have one meal swipe manually deducted from their meal plan for this dinner
- Meal options are 1) turkey 2) Italian 3) veggie sandwiches; students requiring allergy free/dietary restricted meals should go to the red table cloth for their entree
- There will be additional free food and drink at Carnivale after Convocation
CARNIVALE AND BUSSES BACK TO OTHER CAMPUSES
- Following Convocation, everyone will attend Scarlet Carnivale on the nearby E-Field
- There will be games, giveaways, activities, inflatables, prizes and free food/drink (including the Knight Wagon and the new mobile Starbucks truck)
- Carnivale is open from 6PM until 10PM
- Students will get back on buses to return to their respective campuses at the same location where they are dropped off.
- Cook/Douglass = across from Visitor’s Center
- College Avenue/Livingston = Scarlet (West) Lot near stadium bus stop
- Busses back to the other campuses will begin running at 7PM and will run until 11PM
IN CASE OF RAIN
- Notification will be posted at convocation.rutgers.edu
- Formal Convocation will be cancelled
- All Dining Halls will be open until 8PM and students should eat on the campus where they live
- Carnival activities will be relocated to Busch Student Center, Cook Student Center, and Livingston Student Center (activities will run from 7PM-10PM and students are encouraged to utilize the buses to move between the three events if they desire)